Friday, October 24, 2014

V is for Vacation

Its been quite some time since I had anything like a real vacation. But the last one checked every box I have for what makes a vacation spectacular. Family, friends, gorgeous location, great food, views, celebration, relaxation, fitness, drinks, love, fun, laughter. Everyone who made it to that gorgeous house at Lake Sidney Lanier in June of 2013 is still longing to be back or to have another vacation as perfect as that was!

As I look at trying to create something that fantastic, it seems the only way to surely achieve it is to have as many of the same people along as possible. Logistics for that are a little tough though. The reason so many from our large family and body of good friends made the trip was to celebrate an amazing young man who'd just graduated the Air Force Academy and was slated to marry his lovely young bride!

Zarautz, Spain from fjalonso
I've been fortunate to have taken many a great vacation. Probably more than some folks ever do, and far less than others. I've been to several locations in Mexico, many of the United States, Canada, France, England, Spain, a few of the Virgin Islands (including British), Turks and Caicos...so where should my next destination be? 

I have longed to return to Spain ever since I left in 2004! I seriously cannot believe it's been 10 years! This time I would like to see the north west regions including Zarautz, San Sebastian and the like. Maybe I could start in the south of France (which I've yet to see) and then on down to Spain from there.

What's changed since most of my vacation travel is my marital status. The next trip will be with my husband of nearly two years now, as we've agreed that major vacations will be taken together. I like that idea, but it changes things quite a bit, since we are two polar opposite personalities when it comes to travel. I love people, conversation, airports, and adventure. I am okay with not much of a plan and like to see new places and things...letting things unfold as they will. My husband is introverted and struggles being around hoards of strangers. He needs a plan, a schedule, tends to revisit the familiar and is not comfortable just going with what comes along.

He seems on board in a big way with the idea of travel to Zarautz, and I think he'll feel he's been there with all the Google Street View stalking he's been doing. I'd like to put it on the books now, even if we don't make it there until next fall. I may just do that!

And there you have it!

No comments: