Friday, December 17, 2010

Different Christmas

There are only 8 days until Christmas and there is something magically different about it this year.

There are the usual hoards of people at the mall (or frantically speeding to get there while cursing the others out there doing the same thing) searching for gifts they may or may not want to give, and likely can't really afford. The recipients of these gifts don't need (or even really want) most of what they'll get. Even the best gifts probably won't hold their recipient's interest for very long despite the fact they've said, "If I get that for Christmas, I'll be the happiest person on this earth."

I've been on both ends of this, some years more-so than others. I have had years where I lavished expensive gifts on everyone I knew after shopping for days and days to find just the right things for each person on my long list. I was sure to wrap them in the best paper with the perfectly formed cloth ribbon bow. I bet most of those gifts are long forgotten, and that doesn't even matter. I've also had the years where I had no idea where I would get the money to make my children's Christmas wishes come true in even the smallest way (kind of like this year).

But, when I reminisce about the best Christmas' ever, the ones that first come to mind are those of my childhood when all my brothers and sisters would gather around and watch as we all opened the same thing... this year's winter pajamas! We got them every year, they weren't even in a box, usually just cheap paper tied with that plastic ribbed ribbon that curled with a scissor. To this day I love a new set of winter jammies for how they make me feel inside.

A few weeks ago, I almost let myself feel badly for not having the money to go Christmas Crazy due to my unemployed state, but I stopped and noticed that I am probably as peaceful and happy inside as I have ever been.

This Christmas season I find myself extremely grateful for the few months my unexpected break in employment have given me to enjoy my time, my home, my family, and my love.

I cherish the fact that I picked out the tree with someone I deeply love. I marvel at God's wonder in creating such a beautiful thing. I enjoyed a precious, uninterrupted, two hours alone with my beautiful daughter as we adorned it to perfection. We've yet to place a single gift beneath the tree and yet, I am full of joy and feel abundantly blessed.

It's been said before, but try to feel it from the heart this year and have yourself a merry little Christmas now.

And there you have it.

No comments: