Friday, September 21, 2012

Guitar

Jimmy Page. Thanks Google!
 G is for guitar. So this random selection comes from sitting down to keep my promise to write each day inspired by words that start with consecutive letters in the alphabet. While hearing my man get down on his electric guitar, I picked that. He tells me that music is set up to A 440, while Jimmy Hendrix would tune to A440 flat and the kids would go much lower. What the f#@! is he talking about?

I don't know how to play any musical instruments. Not for lack of trying. I've taken piano lessons three different times in my life. When I was really young, I tried violin, viola and cello. I don't think my right hand will ever be able to run its own game while my left does the same. My man, however, can play bass, guitar, and drums! I find that impressive.

I've seen live guitarists from Robin Trauer to Peter White. I've listened to Flamenco in an underground grotto in Spain. The guitar has been the backdrop to so many of my most treasured memories. So, tonight, I'll keep it short and sweet and say that a man who owns the strings of the guitar, can pretty much move any feeling soul on the planet. Maybe guitars and the people who master them are a gift from God. Or maybe they're just blessed to have the music in them.

And there you have it.

No comments: