Thursday, September 27, 2012

Marriage

M is for marriage.

I don't think the standard definitions of marriage are at fault for standard marriages failing so frequently long before death. But, I do find it odd that the main definition describes it so coldly, "a consensual and and contractual relationship recognized by law." Yet, when they move toward the third definition, and refer to the marriage of painting and poetry, they call that an intimate or close union.

I much prefer the notion of a spiritual marriage where two souls elect to unite eternally for the purpose of aiding one another in progressing toward that perfect balance of feminine and masculine traits and ultimately, full spiritual awakening.

I think too often husbands and wives forget about this high purpose and allow selfishness to pervade the shared life. They get the misguided notion that it's the other's job to make them happy, to support them, to tolerate whatever foul mood, attitude, habit, or action they dish  out. That is not love and will not sustain a marriage vow.

I've wed before, and I have to admit that I was guilty of certain transgressions against my husband such as disrespect, retaliation for treatment I found unjust, criticizing him. I could make excuses for that, and many of them would sound justifiable. But instead, I've chosen to introspect on that experience, accept my part in it and work to change myself.

I will marry again in 98 days. This time I will remain mindful of the true ultimate purpose for marriage being spiritual unfoldment and strive to exhibit the divine qualities of understanding, patience, thoughtfulness,  love and service. This will be the best and last marriage for both of us and I'm excited for the opportunity it will provide express love in it's highest form.

And there you have it!


No comments: