Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ocean

O is for ocean.

What is it about the ocean that appeals to so many people for so many varied reasons? It's like a magnet drawing humans to its vastness and majesty.

For me the ocean beckons softly. I'm not one of those people that have to get in the water daily, though I've known several people throughout my lifetime that did have that type of urge. Mostly surfers. I do find myself, however, from time to time, feeling like it just needs to happen.

In January of 2006, I had one of my most amazing ocean experiences ever. I was off the coast of Anegada in the British Virgin Islands snorkeling. I saw some of the most colorful and amazing creatures I've ever laid eyes on. It was other worldly. There was one fish who stopped right in front of me and just looked at me. I tried to stay fairly still so as not to scare it before I realized it wasn't scared at all, it was interacting with me. After several hours out there, I realized I had made my way some distance from any of the others in my party and several hundred yards from the coast, I felt a twinge of fear, but immediately let that go and just pointed myself back in the direction of the coast and continued to witness the goings on of the gorgeous creatures inhabiting those warm turquoise waters in paradise.

On another occasion I felt I was at some sort of crossroads. I was feeling God as I stood facing the coast in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. I stood some distance above the line in the sand last made by the waves reaching up onto the shore. I played a game with the ocean, with God, with myself, and I asked God to bring the waves all the way up to my feet if I would be making a major change in my life and leave them lapping as they were if I were to stay my course. The very next wave rushed up the shore an additional eight or ten feet and enveloped me up to about mid ankle. I smiled: wondering if that really was an oceanic answer from God. I stood in that same spot, my feet now grounded in the sand and watched as the next several surges stayed back where they had been for the last fifteen minutes or so before my question. I decided God had answered me. And it was true, the next several months brought a whole new direction for my life.

I may have just decided in this very moment that I want my ashes to be spread on the ocean when I'm done with this carcass.

And there you have it!

No comments: