Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Kismet

K is for kismet. 
Is it fate that I am where I am? Believe what I do? Have the quantity, type, gender of offspring that I do. Were my kids always going to be born to me? Was that known by someone even before I was born to my mom, or before SHE was born to hers? Was I destined to write? Is his love my destiny?

I have often found that when certain individual worlds collide, it's like there was no other alternative. What that particular person, job, situation brings into your life at that particular given time often seems (usually in retrospect) like it was simply meant to be. Only rarely do we realize it at the time. But there's also that moment where you're living the first few moments or hours of something, somewhere, someone, and you feel like the world conspired to put you just where you were at that moment, just for the sheer purpose of having that exact experience. I personally LOVE that! I don't care if it's really true or not. Even when some particularly amazing period of life ends, if it has felt like kismet to us, we tend to hold onto the meaning we attached to it for some time. 

They call it "The will of Allah' in Islamic culture. Is Allah supposed to be like western christian culture's Jesus? Or God? I wonder if it's kismet that determines if, when, or why we attach ourselves to certain spiritual or religious beliefs.

Is there some Omniscient being working our puppet strings, causing our world's to collide and enjoying what we make of it? Seeing who realizes what is and is not "meant to be"? I wonder if kismet exists to nudge us in some specific direction. Maybe it is there for us to recognize, but often times we just don't. Maybe kismet is like "coincidences" in the book, The Celestine Prophecy, it's meant to be something of which we are to take special note in order to walk the path laid out by our destiny. 

There are probably some who will say, "Kismet, schmizmet! I make my own destiny!" I, for one, believe we know very little of the workings of this vast universe, and if intuition knocks on my door, calling itself kismet, I'm gonna go ahead and answer. I'll invite him/her in and see what s/he has to say. 

And there you have it!

No comments: